Monday, September 04, 2006

It's Labor Day!

Finally the big day today. I did my share of laboring this morning, and after work we went to the Labor Day picnic! That was exciting. I won a stuffed dolphin for the kiddo at the ball toss booth, and took many pictures.

I was amused to see a whole booth decorated in the slogan: "Had Enough? Vote Democrat." That is positively the worst slogan I've ever heard in my life. First of all, had enough of what exactly? The world's sordid state of affairs? Do they really mean to suggest that with Democrats in office, the world will sew up its many wounds and everyone will live happily ever after? Of course not. Then, suppose we have "had enough" of whatever it is they are talking about. What, exactly, do they propose to do to fix whatever we have had enough of?

Do they propose to pull us out of Iraq? Bad plan. Just ask the military, because they don't necessarily want to be there, but they can explain to you why pulling out is a worse option.

Do the Democrats propose to fix our nation's healthcare crisis? Perhaps, but I'm sure their solution is something that reeks of Medicare/Medicaid, and let me tell you, that's not the most effective solution. My suggestion is to disassociate health insurance from employers altogether, and just privatize it the way we have with life, home, and auto insurance.

The main problem with the Democratic party these days is that it's branching off in too many liberal directions. People who may be liberal in one area may not be in another, and that splits the entire party up. Politics in this country will never improve until we are given the option of more than two parties, more than two candidates, and possibly an administration with more on the agenda than just getting re-elected.

Anyway, enough with my rant for now. I hope everyone is having a safe, happy holiday. Don't forget to thank a veteran if you see one -- because of them, we are free to celebrate holidays such as these. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home